Mon June 24, 2013
PRNDI Honor Highlights KCCU's 2013 Awards List
A national award from Public Radio News Directors Incorporated (PRNDI), one of the highest honors in public radio broadcasting, has capped the list of accolades KCCU has received for work completed in 2012 by news director Clinton Wieden and reporter Mitch Watson.
Competing in Division C (small stations) in the PRNDI contest, KCCU received second place in the category of Best Multimedia Presentation for Mitch Watson's series “The Two-Wheelin’ Reporter." The category emphasized not only the stories produced for broadcast, but other media involved with the project as well, such as a website and photo galleries.
Earlier in the year, KCCU received seven regional Edward R. Murrow awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA). Since 2009, KCCU has won 26 regional Murrow awards in the Radio-Small Market division, tied for third-most in the country for that division.
KCCU stories from 2012 also earned awards from the Oklahoma Pro Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, the Oklahoma Associated Press Broadcasters, and the Texas Associated Press Broadcasters.
KCCU Awards 2012-13
Public Radio News Directors Incorporated (PRNDI) Awards
- Second Place, Best Multimedia Presentation - "The Two-Wheelin' Reporter"
Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Reporting-Hard News - "City Council Approves 2nd Street Funding"
- Continuing Coverage - "Lawton 2nd Street Development"
- News Documentary - "Clearing the Books"
- Feature Reporting - "The Daughter of Dawn"
- News Series - "The Two-Wheelin' Reporter"
- Writing - "The Two-Wheelin' Reporter"
- Use of Sound - "Kemp Center Adds New Sculptures"
Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Oklahoma Pro Chapter Awards
- First Place, Special Program - "Clearing the Books"
Oklahoma Associated Press Broadcasters (OAPB) News Excellence Competition
- First Place, Use of Sound - "Kemp Center Adds New Sculptures"
- Third Place, Use of Sound - "Lawton City Council Approves 2nd Street Funding"
- Honorable Mention, Best Portfolio - Mitch Watson
Texas Associated Press Broadcasters (TAPB) Awards
- First Place, Documentary - "Clearing the Books"
- Second Place, Feature (Light) - "Kemp Center Adds New Sculptures"